FIRE TRUCKS AT WAR
Class 530
The Class 530 fire truck was built on the GM CCKW, 2 1/2 ton, 6x6,
chassis and the bodies were manufactured by McCabe-Powers Body
Works of St. Louis, MO in April 1945.  The Class 530 was designed
and equipped for combating all type of fires.  The truck was equipped
with 11.00 x 18.00 low pressure tires that provided greater off road
mobility.  Principal equipment consisted of fire extinguishers, hose,
water tank and pump.  A Barton American, Type F, 500 gpm,
centrifugal pump was mounted between the front bumper and
radiator.  It was dirct-driven and was connected to a 640 gallon
elliptical shaped water tank by a suction and return line.  Hose reels
were mounted on each side of the body and carried 150 feet of 1 inch
booster hose.  600 feet of 2 1/2 inch and 400 feet of 1 1/2 inch hose
was carried in the hose bed.  Ladders, fog applicators and suction
hose were mounted to the right side of the body.  Nozzles, fittings and
strainers were mounted on the tailboard at the rear of the truck.  A
variety of fire extiguishers were mounted on the left side of the vehicle.

Twenty four of the units were built and 20 were assigned to the
Engineer Fire Suppression School at Fort Lewis, WA.  There, they
were further assigned to the Engineer Fire Fighting Platoons training
at the school.  The Class 530s saw service in the postwar Pacific
Theater service with Fire Fighting Platoons and other Army fire units.
Class 750
The Class 750 fire truck was a triple combination pumping engine with a midship mounted 750 gpm
pump.  It was the largest pumper supplied to Army post and was the same type used by the
municipal fire departments.  The Class 750 was usually assigned to post having large water supplies
and needing large caliber streams.  The trucks were built by American LaFrance, Buffalo, Mack,
Maxim, Pirsch, Ward LaFrance and Seagrave on a standard 4x2 chassis.  The water tank carried
150 gals of water and 150 ft. of 1 in. hose was carried on a reel or in a basket mounted atop of the
hose body.  The hose body held 1200 ft. of 2 1/2 hose,   It was equipped with standard fire fighting
tools and was used for combating structural fires at camps, post and stations.
1942 Maxim 750 4x2 Pumper USA 501663
1941 American LaFrance
1942 Pirsch USA 501114
1941 Pirsch USA 50483
Class BF 750
The Class BF 750 was a triple combination pumping engine with a midship mounted 750 gpm
pump.  The truck appeared in 1938 and was constructed by the U.S. Army at the Holabird
Quartermaster Depot, Baltimore, MD.  It was powered by a 105 HP Continental engine.  The water
tank held 150 gals. and 150 ft. of 1 in. hose was carried in a basket mounted over the pump.  It was
equipped with standard fire fighting equipment required for structural fire fighting.  The hose body
held 1000 ft. of 2 1/2 in. hose.
1941 Holabird BF 750 USA 50401.  Rig served at the Aberdeen Proving Ground, MD
BF 750
1939 Holabird BF 750 USA 50249
1944 Sterling-Howe  USA 502012
1943 Sterling-Howe USA 502023
CCKW-McCabe Powers Class 530  
Class 530 pictured in the Philippines, 2 May 47.
Barton pump has been replaced with a Darley
pump.Front spot lights and booster reels have been
removed and original siren replaced.
USA 508502
1946 Mack Class 750 army fire trucks under
constuction at the Mack plant, Long Island City, NY
USA 5011034 in forground
Thanks to Jean-Michel Boniface for sending in the
photo.
____________________________
________________________
______________________
_______________________
1941 Seagrave USA 501229
McCabe Powers Class 530 with the 1225th
Engineer Fire Fighting Platoon, Japan.
USA 508513